Monday, April 21, 2008

RSL @ TFC First Impressions

Hello all. I am trying to do a full review, but I feel like I should watch the game again before I do that, as I watched most of it the first time in 1x fast forward. That and I kinda faded in and out of it at times. In other words, what an ugly game. One that will make it hard to watch again, but I'll try. So in lieu of a full review (which, like I said, I will try and get up later this week, work permitting), I thought I'd just put down some impressions I got from the game.

First of all, I was as excited as anyone about the signing of Ian Joy. The guy plays with a ton of heart and bleeds his team. Unfortunately, he's not very good. He's consistently out of position and when he is back covering his man, he often leaves a 5 yard cushion between him and the attacker with the ball. The only thing I read from this is that Ian thinks/knows he is too slow to keep up with anyone so he gives himself a cushion so he doesn't get burned. Unfortunately, this leaves a wide open space for opposing players to send in crosses and find other open players on the field. I like the hustle Ian puts in, but I'm not liking his game. Perhaps it's time to get our #3 pick on the field? Or put Sturgis (when not injured, which seems not to be often) back there? Have Forko and Kipre signed elsewhere?

Secondly, this team looks more and more like RSL 2007 which scares the pants off of me. Blowing leads deep in extra time (Chicago), losing games big in which you play fairly even most of the game (TST), beating down DC at home, and now, the "it's 20 minutes in and I can already tell RSL won't find the back of the net" syndrome has creeped back in. You could just tell RSL would never get an equalizer. And they didn't. If there was any doubt, Dema Kovalenko's absolute disgrace of an open volley proved RSL could not score in that one. (Note to Dema, if you're that wide open and can't hit a volley, here's what you do: Settle the ball THEN shoot. You'd have still been open.). The reflections of last year are striking. And the results are, sadly, nearly the same.

Going back to Sturgis for a minute, I really like his game, and when available I would always put him in over Talley (or Joy). However, as I mentioned a few months ago the guy is ALWAYS hurt. The latest injury is being vaguely reported as a hamstring strain, so I'm not sure how long he'll be out, but between this and (if healthy) the Olympics, I don't expect to see much of Nate this season. Too bad, he's a quality player.

Sigh. This was a disheartening loss as an RSL fan. RSL came out looking like they could sleepwalk to a win and it proved to be their undoing. I worry that this team thinks they are a lot better than they are. They ARE good enough to make the playoffs if they really get their minds in the right place and work. But with the same old "We're just unlucky" drivel coming out of RSL-land all season, I'm not sure this team will get in the right frame of mind. I think this next game will prove a lot. RSL will be up against a hungry DC United team in the second leg of the Ben Cup. DC is coming off two straight losses, should be well rested and healthy (and thereby playing ALL their players, like Gallardo), and will be looking to avenge the leg 1 massacre at Rice Eccles. If RSL can get a result on the road in this environment (and keep the Ben Cup a blowout for this year), then there is hope for them still. If they are lethargic and sloppy like they were against TFC, it will get ugly and won't bode well for the rest of '08. Go RSL!

No comments: