Tuesday, April 15, 2008

DCU Ben Interview

So I decided to do a quick interview with the eastern half of the Ben Cup committee after last Saturday's 4-0 shellacking. Here's the results in their entirety:

Royal Review: First of all, let's get your general thoughts on Leg 1 of the Ben Cup.

DC Ben: I'll try to keep it family friendly, but there is a special curse that Jables (Jack Black) uses when Kage (Kyle Gass) criticizes his inward singing. Initials C.A.. Best curse ever. That's my first thought. Then there is a curse from the film Donnie Darko that I reserve for Tom Soehn. Initials S an F. Second best curse ever. But since I do not use such language I will say that I was quite disgusted and disappointed.


RR: Did you end up watching the entire game or did you give up?

DCB: Of course. I did go to bed at half, but I watched the rest of the game without knowing the result on Sunday morning. I did not abandon ship on Saturday night because of the score so much as 14 hour work days and a newborn. I had to sleep. Although I will say the lack of sleep did soften the blow.

RR: How can DCU turn things around in Leg 2?

DCB: Easy. 4 man back line. And I will be there, which will make them realize that they care about the Ben Cup.

RR: What will be the outcome of Leg 2?

DCB: DC 5 RSL 0 fueled by anger and a DP that got plenty of rest. (editor's note: HAHAHAHAHA!)

RR: Why does DCU have such a hard time in Utah?

DCB: I'll go with altitude, that sounds about right... oh and ALWAYS thinking RSL is a crap team on a crap pitch (ok, that part is true), which they CLEARLY are not. Maybe RSL sucks all season long, but they DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT suck against DC.

RR: A lot has been said about Soehn's decision making in the game (not playing Gallardo, 3-man backline, etc.)-what are your thoughts? What do you think of him as a coach in general?

DCB: I realize I have adopted a frustrated and angry tone for most of this interview but to be honest DC plays a ridiculously crowded schedule for the number of quality players that we have. The coaching staff has to decide to put a lesser team on the field every now and again. I have to believe that Soehn knew he was not putting out his best squad but I'm not sure how to explain the 3 man back. I mean, on the road you should as a rule bunker and counter which means bolstering the defense and going thin on the attack. Maybe it was the best lineup for using the most reserves.

In general I think he is pretty good. I think he is learning and experimenting and I'm ok with that right now. Soehn has the benefit of assuming his squad can win if he puts the first team out there. That gives him more time to try new things without the pressure. Obviously these are all assumptions. And when you assume bla bla bla...


RR: DC has been very up and down so far this year, what are your expectations for the rest of the season?

DCB: I expect to see some more ups and downs for another month or so and then I expect the team to come together and do very well. I don't expect them to lose 4-0 ever again.

RR: How much does this team miss now-gang member Christian Gomez? Is Gallardo going to be able to replace him?

DCB: The team does not miss Christian Gomez version 2007. He disappeared for games at a time and was always so pouty. I wish him only the best but not for him to come back. Gallardo has replaced him. Gallardo is better than Gomez. Is he worth DP money? That is a question for another day... a day that comes after the 2008 season

RR: If you could pick one RSL player and put him on United, who would it be (if anyone)?

DCB: Beckerman. I love his bite, passion, dreadlocks, and those bombs he puts in the net. It's weird that I like him so much considering how much I hated him when he played for the Denver West Sideuhz. Also, he scored 12 points for my MFLS team.

RR: Any other thoughts on anything (Ben Cup, DCU, RSL, MLS, popular music, world politics, the letter H, anything!)?

DCB: The Ben Cup will come to DC sometime in the next 3 years. I guarantee it. Music sucks. Politics, especially those of the world are AWESOME! The letter H is my favorite Spanish alphabet letter.

Good stuff as always from DCU Ben; be sure to check out his DCU blog The Edgell Supporters. And thanks to him for the interview and for tipping me off to THIS (seriously, go here. NOW.).

2 comments:

Scads said...

You guys have something cool going here...good job.

Anonymous said...

Schweet!