Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Kipre Revisited

I was never really sold on RSL letting Jean-Martial Kipre (and Willis Forko) go. Both were serviceable at the very least, and on the other side of the coin, had the possibility of potential that had not been tapped, especially in Kipre's case. Either way, they could've provided some depth in a shallow position. But I digress. Anyway, the reason that many cited for RSL letting Kipre go was a penchant for reckless plays and giving up PKs. James Edward from the Deseret News confirms this in his blog (which is a great new RSL resource by the way, and really the only reason to go near anything marked 'Deseret News'). OK, now that's fine if you think the occasional boneheaded play makes up for his speed, his potential, and his help in the attack, I can understand that, even if I disagree. But why does Kipre get thrown under the bus, while Mantilla (who I like, don't get me wrong) gets a free pass? In my mind, Mantilla (last year) was as prone, if not moreso, to mental errors as Kipre. How many times did he draw unnecessary cards or give up (or nearly give up) a PK? Many many many. Like I said, I like Mantilla and the fire that he plays with, but I don't get why he stays and Kipre goes (if the reasoning is based on mistakes in the back). Oh well.

Coming soon: More posts, hopefully. It really depends on how lazy I'm feeling. haha Anyway, I'm trying to get together an MLS team ranking and possibly the most unnecessary and poorly researched RSL team review on the net! Get excited kids!

No comments: