Monday, November 10, 2008

Playoffs: Round 1, Game 2: RSL @ TST: How Sweet It Is

Shinkes! I get stuck on a second shift at work and the site goes all to hell just like that! Sorry for getting so far behind so fast, life happens when you least want it to I suppose. Anyway, grades and pictures for game 1 coming after I wade through them all, but in the meantime, here's the grades and a few thoughts on the clinching game 2.

First off, let me just say, it is official: I hate Chivas TST more than any team in MLS. More than Colorado. More than just about any team in any sport that I can think off (they are in the rarefied air shared by the Yankees and the Lakers). I know I am supposed to hate the Crapids the most (and granted, I dislike them plenty), but, to me, there is just something about TST that I do not like. So imagine my joy in watching RSL win the series at the Home Depot Center. And after squeaking into the playoffs by breaking the hearts of Crapids fans everywhere? Sweet sweet icing on the cake. Couple that with the energy bovines' shocking win over Houston on Sunday, giving us home field for the conference final, and I am a happy boy. And now, I implore RSL to smack NY around. Not just for themselves, not just for us fans, but also for our Ben Cup brethren, the DCU fans who would love nothing more than to see the bulls go down in flames (on a side note, props to the Edgell Supporters for cheering for RSL this playoffs, well done). MLS Cup, here we come!

Grades:
Nick Rimando-7 Had some nice moments, but was helped by poor TST shooting.
Jamison Olave-8 Showed a ton of heart.
Nat Borchers-7 Solid in the back.
Robbie Russell-7 Made some big recoveries in this one.
Chris Wingert-6 Fairly quiet, I'd like to see more.
Dema Kovalenko-6 Would be a five, but a bonus point for the beautiful header.
Kyle Beckerman-5 Passing has been TERRIBLE as of late.
Javier Morales-8 Should've had 2 goals, but you can't argue with a goal and an assist.
(Fabian Espindola 87)-5 Looked a bit lost out there.
Will Johnson-7 Do we have this kid locked down long term yet?
Clint Mathis-5 Basically useless.
(Robbie Findley 72)-7 Needs to be getting into games much earlier than he is.
Yura Movsisyan-6 Meh.
(Andy Williams 80)-6 See Yura.

Coaching grade (Kreis)-7 Some of the sub patterns were odd, but we got the needed result.
Ref grade (head ref: Michael Kennedy)-2 Shockingly bad refereeing. Inconsistent on calls, lost control of the game early, missed calls, pretty much anything he could do poorly he did. Just terrible.

RSL Man of the Match:
Javier Morales
Up to his old tricks! Scored a goal, got an assist, and helped drive the offense.

Assclown of the Match: Ante Razov
There were many contenders (give honorable mentions to Kennedy for piss-poor reffing and to Atiba Harris for his trademark recklessness), but I give it to Razov for his Oscar-worthy performance while getting the PK call. Dude falls down and pulls Javi on top of himself. Watch it again, it is clear as day. Super duper classless. Well done, ya assclown!

No comments: