Thursday, November 20, 2008

Expansion Draft '09

So with Seattle coming into the league MLS is subjecting everyone to yet another expansion draft. According to Garth "You didn't tell them about my pubes did you?" Algar Lagerwey on the Bill Riley show, RSL can protect 11 players, 3 of which must be internationals. Also, Gen. Adidas players (who don't "graduate" from the program this year) are automatically protected. Another interesting wrinkle is that if Seattle chooses a developmental player, then they must offer the player a senior roster spot. The full rules can be found here. So here is who I would keep and who I think RSL will keep protected:

Gen. Adidas/automatically protected:
Beltran
Nimo
Seitz
(Nik Besagno should lose his status this year from what I've heard)

My protect list:
1 Beckerman
2 Movsisyan
3 Borchers
4 Johnson
5 Findley
6 Rimando
7 Wingert
8 Williams
9 Morales
10 Olave
11 Espindola


I struggled on my last pick or two, but decided to go with Williams over Deuchar (and Russell) for my final pick. Why? First, because I think the team flat out plays better when Andy is in the game. I'm not sure that is generally the case with Kenny D (although it has been at times). Secondly, I think Seattle is less apt to use an international spot on Deuchar than they are to take the American (for MLS purposes) Williams. And lastly, simply to pay back some of the loyalty that Andy has shown this franchise, pay cuts and all. And for those questioning my keeping Big Nick protected, I have two good reasons. One, while he is completely under-recognized since he plays in Utah, I think he has been one of the top 2 or 3 goalies in the league over the last 2 years. Secondly, if you keep Nick, you may be able to find a buyer for Chris Seitz, get a decent return on that investment, and still have a quality man in the nets. So who does RSL lose in this situation? Here are the most probable losses:
Russell-Can play multiple positions, solid defender
Sturgis-Good player on the rare occasion he isn't hurt
Deuchar-Big target forward, but can he produce in MLS


Now that list is for if I were in charge of RSL, which, obviously and unfortunately (for me), I am not. So here is the list I seem the team coming up with.

Projected RSL protect list:
1 Beckerman
2 Movsisyan
3 Borchers
4 Johnson
5 Findley
6 Joy
7 Wingert
8 Russell
9 Morales
10 Olave
11 Espindola


I know that's a lot of defenders on the list, but I'm not sure who RSL keeps over them. I think Kovalenko is unprotected solely based on his salary. I think Deuchar may go as he seems to be on the outs with the coaching staff/team right now. I think Williams is out based on his minute playing time in the playoffs combined with the fact that he oftentimes struggles going a whole 90. Sturgis is out as he is never ever healthy. Rimando is out because Seattle already has a keeper in Kasey Keller and because of Seitz already being protected. On the other hand, I think Joy makes it on locker room and leadership qualities, while Russell is in based on his ability to play multiple positions. That being said, I would not be surprised to see someone from the former group replacing one of the latter two. Who are the most probable losses in this scenario?
Williams-Gives you possession and some creativity in attack
Sturgis-Young, talented, perma-hurt
Rimando-Trade bait?

For another view of the upcoming draft, check out WV Hooligan's team-by-team look at the expansion draft (you can start with RSL). Highly recommended.

No comments: