Friday, June 6, 2008

News and Notes, Thoughts and Opinions

First off, thanks to all who voted in the Royal Review Color poll, the current RSL scheme has won out. However, the black and white scheme did pull enough votes for me to look into viable options for those people. If I get time to try a few things, I will let you know. As for now, enjoy the colors of the homeland! :)

In place of the old color scheme poll I have added a new one. In your eyes, who is RSL's player of the year so far? I took the top 6 (it would have been 5, but two players were tied for 5th) players in my season long player grades and put them on there. I'm just curious to see what the rest of RSL-land (and MLS-land) thinks.

As everyone knows by now, Real Madrid cancelled its 2008 exhibition with RSL, hopefully to the surprise of no one. The "partnership" between the teams has always been shaky at best. The Madrid sponsored youth academy? No where to be found. The loaning of promising young stars? Hasn't happened. The biannual (every two years) friendly in Salt Lake? Well, we got 1 (out of five). So basically, this partnership that was supposed to be so fruitful for RSL has ended with RSL getting 1 friendly, 1 preseason training at Madrid's facilities, and the shaft. And worse yet, RSL doesn't seem upset about it. In the linked article, Lagerwey even admits he doesn't know if RSL will be compensated for the missed friendly. You know, the one specified by a legally binding contract. RSL front office: Grow a pair. Stand up to someone besides your own fans. China's national team doesn't pay your bills. Neither does RM. The fans do. Fight for them (not against them) and for yourselves once in a while, damn.

There's a decent article in the SL Tribune today about Nate Sturgis. It basically reiterates what I said months and months ago, this kid is ALWAYS injured. He is RSL's Mark Prior. I feel bad for him, especially after the article pointed out something I hadn't thought of: if his injury doesn't heal up soon, he won't be fit enough to play in the Olympics. That would be a heartbreaker. For Nathan's sake, I hope he heals up soon and gets to go to Beijing. I mean, seriously, who doesn't dream of being in the Olympics?

Finally, to the Fox Soccer Channel: Please hire me as Max Bretos's pronunciation guide. His mangling of the names of players and places has gotten to be too much. And even better, I come cheap (just ask my current employer!). Yours, Ben.

1 comment:

Utah Murmurs said...

I voted for Espy. He's tied for the most goals on the team and he owns the most shots on goal. The only strike against him is that he's got only half the minutes of most of his peers. So he's efficient, but injury-prone.

Actually, I would have liked to vote for Borchers. He's been about as solid as we could have hoped for, and I hope to see him and Olave back there for a long time.